Latest News (8)
Public Meeting for the 5 Year Parks and Recreation Master Plan Update
To view the Parks & Recreation Virtual Open House invite please click on it.
Job Opening: Laborer in the Parks and Cemetery Division
The City of St. Joseph is currently accepting applications for the position of a full-time Laborer in the Parks and Cemetery Division.Read more ...
Request for Proposals (RFP) Milton Park Amphitheater Replacement
The City of St. Joseph is accepting proposals from interested landscaping contractors with sufficient information to submit proposals for consideration by the City of St. Joseph in connection with its needs for renovating the atphitheater at Milton Park 1524 Niles Ave, St. Joseph, Michigan.Read more ...
Before placing Political Signs, or any type of Temporary Signs, on your private property please become familiar with the current ordinance. Click Temporary Sign Information to view a pamphlet highlighting recent revisions.
Notice of Remote Public Bid Opening for City Hall HVAC Controls
To view the Public Notice scheduled for Tuesday, September 8 at 3:00 pm, please click on it.
Request for Proposals (RFP) Storage Building Painting
The City of St. Joseph is accepting proposals from interested area painting contractors with sufficient information to submit proposals for consideration by the City of St. Joseph in connection with its needs for exterior painting for the Storage Building located at the St. Joseph City Boat Launch 282 Anchors Way, St. Joseph Michigan.Read more ...
Job Opening: Ice Arena Operations - Seasonal Employment
The City of St. Joseph is now accepting applications for seasonal employment at the John & Dede Howard Ice Arena for the upcoming Fall/Winter season.Read more ...
Job Opening: Ice Arena Operations Assistant
The City of St. Joseph is seeking an assistant ice arena manager for the John & Dede Howard Ice Arena.Read more ...
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
For information on the St. Joseph River - Bicentennial Bridge USGS Stream Gage, please click on it.
Kingsley, Morton, Orchard and Langley Projects
Langley Reconstruction Project Status
The Langley Avenue Reconstruction Project is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2021. A remote access public meeting was held on August 19, 2020 at 6 pm to inform residents on what to expect. Click here to download the letter sent to the project area.
Tree removals will be required this fall, in advance of the reconstruction project in order to comply with environmental regulations and for power pole relocation work by Indiana Michigan Power. The tree removal plan is available at this link.
Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Reconstruction Project Status
This is an update for the Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Reconstruction Project for the week of September 14th. This past week, Kalin Construction finished laying sanitary sewer on Kingsley Avenue between Willa Drive and Morton Avenue, and with that all sanitary sewer work is now complete. Kalin is currently working on storm sewer along Kingsley Avenue and they expect to complete with that on Monday (9/21).
The plan for the remainder of next week is to install a stormwater treatment unit near the intersection of Lane Drive and Thayer Avenue on Wednesday followed by road building on Kingsley Avenue on Thursday and Friday. Kalin does not plan to work this Saturday (September 19th).
In 2020, the City plans to reconstruct Kingsley Avenue from Niles Avenue to Morton Avenue, Morton Avenue from Kingsley Avenue to Orchard Avenue and Orchard Avenue from Morton Avenue to Langley Avenue. Reconstruction of Langley Avenue is scheduled to start in2021 and encompasses Langley Avenue from Pearl Street to Napier Avenue.
In early November 2018, the City held an open House to gather public input on several concepts for the upcoming reconstruction projects. All of the concept plans included non-motorized facilities in order to comply with the City's Master Plan and the Complete Streets Policy adopted by the Twin Cities Transportation Study (TwinCATs). Space within the public right-of-way is limited, so the addition of non-motorized facility generally results in a reduction or loss of on-street parking. Extensive tree removals will also be required for both projects for multiple reasons including tree size (too big for the available space, age conflicts with sewer services. The tree removals must be completed in advance of the constructionin order to comply with enviromental regulations. The concept plans remained available for viewing and public input until early August.
On March 17, 2020, a public meeting was held by remote access/telephone conference call for the Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Reconstruction Project. Slides of the information covered is available at this link. Work on Kingsley Avenue is scheduled to start the week of March 30th.
December 2nd Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project Update
A public meeting will be held on December 11, 2019 at 6 PM in City Commission Chambers to provide an update on the 2020 Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project to the neighborhood and obtain temporary right-of-entries where needed for lead water service line replacements and driveway work. The mailing sent to the project area provides additional details and can be viewed by following the link below.
March 17th Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project Update
A Pre- Construction Public meeing will be held on March 17, 2020 at 6 PM in the City Commission Chambers to inform those impacted or interested in the project of what to expect. The mailing sent to the project area provides additional details and can be viewed by following the links below.
Please note the construction phasing was reversed from the originally intended plan due to factors associated with the state of emergency caused by Coronavirus.
Lead Water Service Information
Please follow this link for more details. Lead Service Replacement Program
Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Program
Point of contact:
Tim Zebell, P.E.
Please see the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) Report for additional information at : https://www.michigan.gov/documents/egle/wrd-cso-sso-rtb-2019-annual-report_695004_7.pdf
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right-of-Way Application (PDF)(revised 1-23-2018)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
- Standard Procedures for the Approval of Water Main Construction
- Appendix A - Contacts
- Application for Water Main Plan Review Escrow Account
- Right of Entry for Utility Construction and Maintenance
- Water Main - Plan Review Checklist
- Water Mian - Place in Service Request
- Water Main - Constrution Checklist
- Water Quality Complaint Form
- Water Main - Acceptace Review Checklist
- Bacteriological Testing Form
Wind: 8.08 m/h
22 Sep 2020
23 Sep 2020
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Population - 8,365
- City Employees - 81
- City Budget - $22.8 million
- City S.E.V. - $531,397,117 Avg.
- Residential True Cash Value - $199,000
- Square Miles - 4.4
- City Charter - Approved 1928
- Commercial S.E.V. - 96 million
- Industrial S.E.V. - 35 million
- Residential S.E.V. - 395 million
- Tax Millage - 16.5344