Latest News (8)
Canceled: Recreational Harbor Authority May 27 @ 12 PM
Please be advise that the Recreational Harbor Authority meeting scheduled for Wednesday, May 27, 2020 has been canceled. To view the notice, please click here.
St. Joseph Municipal Band to Offer Virtual Memorial Day Concert
To view details on the St. Joseph Municipal Band Virtual Memorial Day Concert click on it.
Park Passes - Memorial Day Weekend
Although we are not yet charging for parking at City parks, we will have the parking machines installed and operating soon.Read more ...
Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission Application Due June 1
Every 10 years following the U.S. Census, district lines for political offices must be redrawn in states across the country to accurately reflect their population.Read more ...
Notice of Public Hearing: Proposed Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) Project Plan 6/8/20 @ 6 PM
The City of St. Joseph will hold a public hearing on the proposed Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) Project Plan for the purpose of receiving comments from interested persons.Read more ...
Governor Whitmer issues Executive Order 2020-70 "Stay Home, Stay Safe"
To view Executive Order 2020-70 "Stay Home, Stay Safe", please click on it.
Designation of Critical Infrastructure Workers 03312020
To view the Designation of Critical Infrastructure Workers pursuant to Executive Order 2020-21, please click here.
Paying Your Utility Bill
For more information on paying your Utility Bill, please click here.
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
For information on the St. Joseph River - Bicentennial Bridge USGS Stream Gage, please click on it.
Kingsley, Morton, Orchard and Langley Projects
This is an update for the Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Project for the week of May 18th. The sanitary sewer on Morton Avenue from the north dead-end to Lane Drive is complete. A portion of the sanitary sewer has also been laid from Langley Avenue west towards te intersectionof Sunset Drive and Orchard Avenue. In the coming week, Kalin plans to continue to lay sanitary sewer on Orchard Avenue, Followed by storm sewer work on Morton Avenue, Starting at the northerly dead-end and proceeding south to the Orchard Avenue intersection. No water shut offs are planned in the coming week.
A third water main break occurred this past week impactinf some residents in the project area. Given the condition of the water main of Orchard Avenue, additional breaks may occur and the Abonmarche inspector will do his best to keep those impacted informed of the situation. Kalin anticipates laying the new water main on Orchard Avenue from Orchard Avenue to the north, and on Orchard Avenue between Sunset Drive and Morton Avenue.
As a reminder, trash pickup will be on Thursday of the coming week due to thhe Memorial Day Holiday. Please place your trash and yard waste containers in the tree lawn in front of your home prior to 7 AM on the pickup day. Kalin Construction will move the containers where Best Way is able to access them, and then return them to you by the end of the day.
This is an update for the Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project for the week of May 4th.
April 23rd Kingsley, Morton, Orchard and Langley Project Update
The Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Reconstruction Project, which was scheduled to begin on March 30, 2020 and was postponed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, will begin on Monday, May 4, 2020.
The original project phased construction plan was to begin on Kingsley to allow for completion of the Lincoln Elementary school year to be completed without major construction near the school. However, with the project delay and the cancellation of the remainder of the on-site school year, the project phases have been changed to allow for construction be begin on Morton and Orchard leaving the reconstruction of Kingsley until later this summer. This revised plan will continue the goal of minimizing disruption to the school area while school is in session
Phase I: Morton from Kingsley north to the dead end and Orchard from Morton to Langley.
Reconstruction begins on Monday, May 4, 2020 and will be substantially completed by the end of July.
Phase II: Kingsley from Niles to Morton
Reconstruction begins in early August and will be substantially completed by early October.
On March 17, 2020, a public meeting was held by remote access/telephone conference call for the Kingsley, Morton and Orchard Reconstruction Project. Slides of the information covered is available at this link. Work on Kingsley Avenue is scheduled to start the week of March 30th.
December 2nd Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project Update
A public meeting will be held on December 11, 2019 at 6 PM in City Commission Chambers to provide an update on the 2020 Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project to the neighborhood and obtain temporary right-of-entries where needed for lead water service line replacements and driveway work. The mailing sent to the project area provides additional details and can be viewed by following the link below.
March 17th Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project Update
A Pre- Construction Public meeing will be held on March 17, 2020 at 6 PM in the City Commission Chambers to inform those impacted or interested in the project of what to expect. The mailing sent to the project area provides additional details and can be viewed by following the links below.
Lead Water Service Information
Please follow this link for more details. Lead Service Replacement Program
2020 Sidewalk Replacement Project
On January 27, 2020 the City Commission awarded Anlaan Corporation, out of Grand Haven, the 2020 Sidewalk Replacement Project. This project will be focused in the southwest quadrant of the City, west of Niles Avenue and south of Sutherland/Central Avenue. While the bulk of the work will be within these limits, therewil be some work throughout the City for ramp upgrades and urgent repairs.
Construction for this project can begin as early as March 30, 2020 and must be completed by September 11, 2020. The work will be completed within this window. Construction status maps will be available here after the work begins.
The project is part of the City's biennial sidewalk program in which a replacement project is undertaken every other. The purpose of this program is to remove potential tripping hazards. This is accomplished by removing and replacing any sidewalk square that a 1" or greater difference in height from an adjacement square.
Reinspection of the quadrant is now underway. You will see white "X" on squares to be replaced. During the reinspections there is a chance additional sidewalk will be added into the project. Homeowners that will be affected by these additions will receive a letter shortly after these new squares are identified.
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right-of-Way Application (PDF)(revised 1-23-2018)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
- Standard Procedures for the Approval of Water Main Construction
- Appendix A - Contacts
- Application for Water Main Plan Review Escrow Account
- Right of Entry for Utility Construction and Maintenance
- Water Main - Plan Review Checklist
- Water Mian - Place in Service Request
- Water Main - Constrution Checklist
- Water Quality Complaint Form
- Water Main - Acceptace Review Checklist
- Bacteriological Testing Form
Wind: 2.49 m/h
25 May 2020
26 May 2020
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Population - 8,365
- City Employees - 81
- City Budget - $22.8 million
- City S.E.V. - $531,397,117 Avg.
- Residential True Cash Value - $199,000
- Square Miles - 4.4
- City Charter - Approved 1928
- Commercial S.E.V. - 96 million
- Industrial S.E.V. - 35 million
- Residential S.E.V. - 395 million
- Tax Millage - 16.5344