Coastal Study Update 2017
To view the Coastal Study Update dated November 8, 2017, please click on it.
Seasonal Employees Needed - Please Apply
The City of St. Joseph is seeking mature, reliable individuals to fill several positions at the Howard Ice Arena and the Public Works department for the upcoming Winter/Spring season.Read more ...
Howard Ice Arena Open Skate Thanksgiving Schedule
The Howard Ice Arena will be opening the season next week with Open Skate beginning at noon on Wednesday, November 22nd.Read more ...
St. Joseph City Commission Vacancy
There is a vacancy on the city commission resulting from the resignation of Chris Heugel, who resigned on September 21, 2017, due to moving outside the City of St. Joseph.Read more ...
City releases an RFP for Scrape, Prime & Paint Contracts #17.06
The City of St. Joseph is accepting sealed bids for Scrape, Prime & Paint Contracts at 719 Hoyt St., 802 Hoyt St., 804 Hoyt St. as part of code enforcement cases.Read more ...
Job Opening for Public Safety Officer
The City of St. Joseph is accepting resumes for the position of Public Safety Officer.Read more ...
City of St. Joseph Receives Improved Classification of ISO Rating
Public Safety Director Uridge reports, "Congratulations City of St. Joseph."Read more ...
October/November "City Connection" Newsletter
The October/November 2017 City Connection newsletter has been published.
To read all the latest news, click here.
Schedule a Special Pick-up
Special pick-ups are intended for the removal of over-sized items that cannot be collected with the regular rubbish collection. We cannot take any hazardous items (such as chemicals, solvents, oil-based paint, refrigerators, air conditioners, broken glass, or boards with nails) in a special pick-up.
If you have any question as to whether the City will collect the material, please contact the Department of Public Services in advance, at (269) 983-6341, and ask to have a City employee assess the material.
All special collection programs are limited to residential property; commercial or industrial property (including apartments or condominiums with more than four units in a single building) are not eligible for these programs.
Details regarding the program are as follows:
- Special Large Item Pick-Ups shall only be made on Thursdays (except holidays, where they shall be made the following Thursday). Requests must be called into the Public Works Department at (269) 983-6341 by NOON the Wednesday immediately before.
- Special Large Item Pick-Ups shall be limited to a total of three cubic yards per pick-up. Each pick-up shall count as one full pick-up. Only one pick-up per week is allowed. Each separate parcel of property in the City shall be allowed a maximum of three (3) Special Large Item Pick-Ups per calendar year, January 1st thru December 31st.
- No material normally handled by the contracted residential trash service will be picked up. No material considered Hazardous Waste (chemicals, solvents, oil, paint, pesticides, etc.) will be picked up. No items containing Freon coolant (refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.). No items that would be hazardous to workers (boards with nails, broken glass, etc.) will be picked up.
- Special Large Item Pick-Ups shall not include items generated through construction material. All contractors shall be responsible for the collection, removal, and proper disposal of generated waste.
- Special Large Item Pick-Up items shall be placed on the side of the lot opposite your normal trash, if the weekly trash service is on the same day as the scheduled pick-up, and may not be placed at the curb before 5 PM on the Wednesday preceding the Thursday pickup.
- If, after a resident has used all three (3) pick-ups, it is necessary for the City to make additional pick-ups to remove items that have not yet been disposed of, the resident will be charged a fee based on time and equipment used, with a minimum charge of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).
If you have any questions about these topics, please contact the City and we will be glad to help you