Howard Ice Arena Open Skate Thanksgiving Schedule
The Howard Ice Arena will be opening the season next week with Open Skate beginning at noon on Wednesday, November 22nd.Read more ...
St. Joseph City Commission Vacancy
There is a vacancy on the city commission resulting from the resignation of Chris Heugel, who resigned on September 21, 2017, due to moving outside the City of St. Joseph.Read more ...
City releases an RFP for Scrape, Prime & Paint Contracts #17.06
The City of St. Joseph is accepting sealed bids for Scrape, Prime & Paint Contracts at 719 Hoyt St., 802 Hoyt St., 804 Hoyt St. as part of code enforcement cases.Read more ...
Job Opening for Public Safety Officer
The City of St. Joseph is accepting resumes for the position of Public Safety Officer.Read more ...
City of St. Joseph Receives Improved Classification of ISO Rating
Public Safety Director Uridge reports, "Congratulations City of St. Joseph."Read more ...
October/November "City Connection" Newsletter
The October/November 2017 City Connection newsletter has been published.
2018 St. Joseph Public Art Exhibit: Magical Kingdom of St. Joseph
COME ONE, COME ALL TO THE MAGICAL KINGDOM OF ST. JOSEPH DURING ITS 15th ANNUAL PUBLIC ART EXHIBIT
MAY 18-SEPT. 20, 2018
IMPORTANT: Press Release: Information about House Bill 4503/Senate Bill 329 and Short-Term Rentals
It is important for residents to educate themselves regarding House Bill 4503 and Senate Bill 329. Please click on information from the Michigan Municipal League and others through a Letter and Press Release explaining the effect these two bills will have on our community.Read more ...
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects.
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
2017 Resurfacing Project Update 10/9/2017
The milling of the pavement is now scheduled on Tuesday, October 10th instead of Monday as previously communicated. Paving remains scheduled for this coming Wednesday. In response to questions from some of the residents, please put your trash cans out on your usual pickup day. If for some reason the pickup does not go as planned, leave your trash can out until access is restored to allow Bestway Disposal Inc to dump it.
As a reminder, the 2017 Resurfacing Project work will occur on Morton Avenue between Botham Avenue and Highland Avenue and on Lake Boulebard form Hatch Street to Main Street to Main Street. Residents fronting on the project are encouraged to park on nearby side streets to reduce the potential of delay as driveways will be closed during milling and paving operations. More information can be found on the City website at www.sjcity.com . The initial public nottice can be downloaded by clicking on the link that follows.
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
Wallace Avenue Reconstruction Project
On Wednesday, September 13th at 9 AM, a meeting will be held to review the Wallace Avenue Reconstruction plans with an Arborist on site. The meeting will commence west of the Lakeview Avenue and Wallace Avenue intersection next to the softball field in Dickinson Park. City staff has arranged for an excavator to be on site for the meeting to help in the evaluation process. The goal of the meeting is to look at practical methods to minimize the impact to the trees. The meeting is open to the public.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right of Way Application (PDF)(revised 5-7-2014)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
- Standard Procedures for the Approval of Water Main Construction
- Appendix A - Contacts
- Application for Water Main Plan Review Escrow Account
- Right of Entry for Utility Construction and Maintenance
- Water Main - Plan Review Checklist
- Water Mian - Place in Service Request
- Water Main - Constrution Checklist
- Water Quality Complaint Form
- Water Main - Acceptace Review Checklist
- Bacteriological Testing Form
2017 CSO Project
Public Notice for the Combined Sewer Overflow Project (2/27/2017).
Environmental Assessment Notice for the Combined Sewer Overflow Improvement Projects (1/17/2017).